ankitagrawal

ankitagrawal

Oliver Twist
George Cruikshank, Charles Dickens, Philip Horne
The Draining Lake (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries 4) - Arnaldur Indridason I had read somewhere that Iceland has the highest ratio of number of books read per person than any other country in the world and also that every 1 of 10 Icelanders go on to become a writer or a poet. I seriously don't know whether that is true or not but it seriously itched me to read something from Iceland. I wondered despite of the low population in Iceland if there are so many writers and so many books read why haven't we seen any great write or great books emerging from the country. The problem I found out after reading this book was that they are indeed great writers but they are not known much and the reason for that is just like in other Nordic countries, people in Iceland as well write their literature in their native language. Hardly anything is there in English. Yes there are translators but a translation doesn't have the same effect. Its just like a piece of music which is made to be played on piano, it can be played on the guitar as well but it won't have the same effect.Anyways talking about the book, I was glad that I read it. It not only provided a good crime story but also gave a good insight into Iceland's and East Germany's past. How people were so naive in Iceland when they were ruled. How troubled life was in East German before Germany got unified. It was much of a historical fiction for me. A crime which happened in the past because of the troubles in the past and not intentionally done. I won't set this book as one of the best crime books I have come across but when you add the history to it, its a great read. Iceland is one of the least known countries in the world, it is overshadowed in every field by other Nordic countries. The book gave me good knowledge about Iceland's past.One thing I like when reading Scandinavian Crime Fiction (which I found in this book as well) when compared to English (American/British) Crime Fiction is that the Scandinavians are very professional in they way the move about it. Its not the sort which will hook you off your seat or run fast paced and thrill you just like in English Crime Fiction. No, it just won't do that and I like it because it doesn't feel real. The Scandinavians move about it makes you feel its real, the way the police would actually solve a crime in real life. My grandfather was a lawyer and he sometimes used to tell me stories about how cases in court moved along. I find the same with these Scandinavian crime fiction books. Thats why I like to read the as purely "Crime Fiction" and not as "Mystery/Thriller". When you read it as crime fiction you tend to enjoy it more. I find English Crime Fiction quite casual and nothing professional in comparison to Scandinavian one.