ankitagrawal

ankitagrawal

Oliver Twist
George Cruikshank, Charles Dickens, Philip Horne
Looking for Alaska - John Green This is a wonderful coming of age story. I can totally understand why people (And by people I mean "people who mostly read contemporary and young adult") gave it so high ratings. But for me (this is totally personal opinion) I would say I didn't like the writing style of John Green or you can say I didn't like the writing even though I loved the story. The story is mainly focused on one question "How will I ever come out of this labyrinth". The labyrinth in this case is the sufferings of our lives. We all suffer throughout our lives, for one reason or the other. And the author tries to describe how we should tackle with these sufferings and what is the actual way out of these sufferings, if there is a way that is. It was a very beautiful theme, great story but poorly executed. Here's a list of what I didn't like in the book despite it being a great story.1) I didn't like was the "before" and "after" thing. I think I would have enjoyed the book more had it been straight forward. Just like many contemporary writers do I think John Green by doing this tried to include some unique element in the book and in doing that forgot the basics. The "before" and "after" thing deludes you for quite a bit about the actual theme of the book. Thats why it took me a little too much time to get into the book. Because of this it was also difficult to understand the book in a general way. I would have much preferred if the writer would have kept that part in a simple and natural way.2) I think the characters lacked focus or I should say didn't create enough passion for me to love them, especially the 2 lead characters, Pudge and Alaska. I mean I liked The Colonel, The Japanese Guy "Takumi" and Lara more than those 2. Just to seek attention of the readers John Green tried to make Alaska's character more and more complex and absurd. I mean who doesn't have problems and regrets in life? We all do. But that doesn't give us a freedom to behave oddly and quirky. This was one reason I just couldn't like Alaska as hard I tried and the reason I didn't like Pudge was that he loved Alaska just because he though she was sexy. This was not realistic at all. This is where good writers are separated from great writers, The Chracterization. Great writers have great stories and force you to love the characters whereas good writers have a great story but the characters lack the bite, lack the X Factor. I have to say John Green falls into the latter part.3) This was a very short book yet both the "before" and "after" parts felt a bit stretched. In the "before" part because of the unique thing John Green tried to bring in and the weird characterization it just took too long to get into the book. It took me more than 50-60 pages to focus onto it. This is a bit too much for a book which contained just 272 pages. In the "after" part the story actually catches your focus and is unputdownable as the book takes a totally different direction then what you feel after reading the first part. Yet there were things in this half which were a bit monotonous and repetitive. I don't mean to say that this book should have been short. No, its already short with just 272 pages. What I am saying is John Green rushed into everything. He didn't create a proper atmosphere for the story, didn't give enough time to the characters to make them lovable or atleast more understandable. Characters are enjoyed the best when you know them what and how they are. Unfortunately this didn't happen. The atmosphere was never created into the book and thats one more reason I would say Green is a good writer but not great.Overall I would say that this was a good book, great story, especially when the second part started I couldn't put it down but it certainly hasn't made me feel glad that I bought it or hasn't done enough for me to read more of Green.